The fourth largest city in Indonesia, Medan presents a beautiful balance of the Old and New Worlds, Indonesian culture and colonial influences. Sprawling greens and houses influenced by the Dutch contrast well with rustic shophouses. Medan’s diverse ethnic groups gave the city’s cuisine its own distinct flavour. Medan is also the gateway to Lake Toba, the largest volcanic lake in the world.
Must ExperienceView all
Relax and recreation
Taman Simalem Resort
Useful TipsView all
Sharpen your bargaining skills before going to Medan. This would come in handy when shopping or even commuting. When taking a...
- Flying time from Singapore1 hour 25 minutes
- CurrencyIndonesian Rupiah (IDR)
- Airport to city42 kilometres
- Airport taxInternational flights IDR200,000
- ClimateWet season: September to December; Dry season: January to August
- Best time to goMedan can be visited year round. Durian lovers may want to head out there in August and September to catch the best of the season
- ActivitiesShopping, short trips out to nearby tourist places