Colombo, Sri Lanka
Much more than a gateway to the beaches, temples and tea plantations that make Sri Lanka so appealing, the historic port of Colombo is a city quickly reclaiming its former glories, thanks to a slew of high-end hotel and restaurant openings. The sweeping boulevards and grand government buildings of the Fort district stand in stark contrast with the chaotic traffic and bustling markets at Pettah, while Mount Lavinia’s “Golden Mile” of beaches offers a quick retreat from the bustle of the city.
Must ExperienceView all
Galle Face Green
Gangarama Vihara Tem...
A legacy of Sri Lanka’s rich cultural history, this temple, set on former marshland on the bank of Beira Lake, features an ec...
What to eat
Jami Ul-Alfar Mosque
Useful TipsView all
Cinnamon Hotels and ...
Colombo is a sprawling and congested city, which makes getting around an experience. One of the most affordable – if hair-rai...
- Flying time from Singapore3 hours 50 minutes
- CurrencySri Lankan Rupee (LKR)
- Airport to city33 kilometers
- Airport taxInternational flights LKR7,000
- ClimateFairly temperate all year round, with monsoon seasons from May to August, and from October to January.
- Best time to goDuring the dry season (January to April)
- ActivitiesCheck out the temples and museums, admire colonial architecture, or take a day trip to nearby destinations like Galle and Kandy.