Australia's adventure capital, Cairns is home to two of the world's greatest natural wonders: the UNESCO-listed Great Barrier Reef and Daintree rainforest.
The dazzling natural environment shapes the region's stunning resorts, from secluded island hideaways to indulgent spa spots and eco-lodges. Be it whitewater rafting or skydiving, walking amid primeval ferns or cuddling koalas, exploring dairy farms and orchards or feasting on Modern Australian cuisine, this Tourist Town has something for everyone.
Must ExperienceView all
Great Barrier Reef
Kuranda Scenic Railw...
Daintree National Pa...
Eat bush tucker. Award-winning Ochre dishes up native meats from crocodile to kangaroo, paired with wattle seed, dukka, quand...
Useful TipsView all
Cairns' “stinger season” runs from November to May. Full-body Lycra stinger suits protect against box jellyfish, and are stan...
Apply for a visa
Find out more what Cairns has to offer from the personal experience of Daddy blogger from Singapore, Kelvin, and his family: ...
- Flying time from Singapore6 hours 40 minutes
- CurrencyAustralian Dollar (AUD)
- Airport to city5.8 kilometers
- Airport taxInternational flights AUD86.58 (Departure tax), AUD25.08 (Arrival tax)
- ClimateTropical climate with fairly uniform temperatures throughout the year. Dry season: May to October. Wet season: November to April.
- Best time to goWinter (May to October) is peak tourist season, where skies are clear and temperatures are perfect for exploring the region. Summer (December - April), though wet season, is the best time of the year for diving at the Great Barrier Reef as the winds are calm and underwater visibility at times extends to more than 50 metres. Temperatures at this time range from 24° - 31°
- ActivitiesExplore the World Heritage wonders of the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest. Engage in outdoor activities (Snorkeling, diving, sailing). Relax in the resorts of Port Douglas, Palm Cove or on Lizard Island. Marvel at romantic ruins, Paronella Park or raft the rapids to discover the Mission Beach. Take the old railway to Kuranda Village, or follow the Great Tropical Drive to white water rivers and the Atherton Tablelands for gourmet food and wine trails or experience the hot air balloon. Head north to Cape Tribulation or take the Savannah Way for an outback journey. Explore the foreshore promenade line with bars and restaurant, boardwalk, and even a dip in the saltwater swimming lagoon. Indulge in shopping at the Direct Factory Outlets.