Knowing your baggage allowance can make a difference to your journey and ensure safety and comfort. As you will not have access to your checked baggage during flight, we advise that you carry your medication, travel documents and valuables in your carry-on baggage. For easy identification, do also label your checked baggage with full contact information.
At the glance
- Check Baggage Allowances
- Cabin Baggage Allowances
- Food Items in Cabin / Checked Baggage
Check Baggage Allowances
- Applicable for flights to/from all destinations except the United States / Brazil.
- With effect from 15 Nov 2013, the Free Baggage Allowance (FBA) will increase by 10kg per passenger in all cabin classes on all MI and SQ operated flights under the Weight concept.
- As a member of Singapore Airlines’ PPS Club or KrisFlyer Elite Gold tier, you will enjoy extra baggage allowances.
Cabin class Allowance PPS Club KrisFlyer Elite Gold Business 40 kg 100% extra 20 kg extra Economy 30 kg 100% extra 20 kg extra Infants are allowed 10kg of baggage. Additionally, a fully collapsible stroller or pushchair and carry-cot or car seat may be checked in without charge.#160;
- Applicable for flights to/from the United States / Brazil.
- With effect from 15 Nov 2013, the Free Baggage Allowance (FBA) will increase by 9kg in Business cabin classes only on all SQ operated flights to/from US for Piece concept:
Cabin class To/From US To/From Brazil PPS Club KrisFlyer Elite Gold Dimension Business 2 pieces x 32kg 2 pieces x 32kg 100% 1 extra piece Sum of length, width, height of each piece should not
exceeding 158cm or 62in and 2 pieces not exceeding 273cm or 107in
Economy 2 pieces X 23kg 2 pieces x 32kg 100% 1 extra piece Sum of length, width, height of each piece should not
exceeding 158cm or 62in and 2 pieces not exceeding 273cm or 107in
All Classes: 2 pieces not exceeding 32kg per piece (legislated by Brazilian Govt). Infants are allowed 10kg of baggage. Additionally, a fully collapsible stroller or pushchair and carry-cot or car seat may be checked in without charge.#160;
Baggage Weight Limitations
If you are travelling to and from Australia, Brunei, Italy, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates and United Kingdom, please note that, in accordance with local Occupational Health Safety rules, each of your checked bags cannot exceed 32kg.
You will be required to re-pack your baggage if the baggage weight exceeds 32kg. Heavy machinery or spare parts that exceeds the weight limitation would not be transported to and from the abovementioned countries.
Valuable and Fragile Items
You are strongly advised against packing the following items into your checked baggage:
- Securities / Negotiable papers
- Silverware / Precious metals
- Money / Jewellery / Other valuable items
- Business / Travel / Identification documents
Cabin Baggage Allowances
Under the SilkAir's cabin baggage policy, each passenger will be allowed the following cabin baggage allowance. Please expand the tabs below to see the cabin baggage allowances as well as what items constitute one piece of cabin
Cabin Baggage Allowance Per Piece
Cabin class Allowance Dimensions Business Two pieces*, 7 kg per piece Sum of length, width, height (including protrusions) not exceeding 115cm ** Economy One piece, 7 kg per piece Sum of length, width, height (including protrusions) not exceeding 115cm **
* subject to local country specific requirements, aircraft cabin space and stowage
** subject to baggage being able to be stowed securely#160;
Items Deemed to Constitute One Piece of Cabin Baggage
Item Dimensions Trolley bag 55cm x 40cm x 20cm Garment bag Dimensions not exceeding 115cm, thickness not exceeding 20cm when folded Briefcase 50cm x 40cm x 25cm#160;
Articles Allowed Onboard
You may carry onboard the articles listed below free of charge, over and above your free baggage allowance (subject to local country specific restrictions, if any):
- Ladies' handbag
- Walking stick
- Laptop / Notebook
- Small camera
- Reading material
- Infant’s food for consumption in flight / infant’s carrying basket
- A pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the passenger’s use provided the passenger is dependent upon them
Cabin Baggage Checks
Checks will be carried out on our flights at check-in and prior to boarding. At check-in, cabin baggage that exceeds the allowed limits must be checked in. Prior to boarding, cabin baggage that exceed the allowed limits will be collected and stored in the aircraft cargo compartment and excess baggage charge may become necessary if combined weight with the bags already checked in exceeds your allowance.
To facilitate security checks at the airport, as well as for the safety of our customers and cabin crew, please observe the guidelines on the weight and size of carry-on luggage. This will minimise the likelihood of injuries which could be caused by luggage falling from the overhead compartments due to excess stowage. Cabin baggage that exceeds the stipulated allowances will have to be checked in. It will also help ensure the aircraft cabin remains clutter-free, for easier movement by fellow passengers and the crew.
SilkAir retain the sole discretion to determine, for purposes of your safety or the safety and comfort of other passengers, whether any item of your baggage will be permitted in the cabin or must be carried as checked baggage.
Food Items in Cabin / Checked Baggage
You are advised to check with the relevant authorities of the country that you are travelling to if you wish to carry food items in your cabin and/or checked baggage.
If you are travelling to Singapore, please refer to the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) website for information on the type of food and quantity that is allowed into Singapore.
In addition to AVA’s guidelines, SilkAir may restrict the carriage of items in the cabin and/or checked baggage if these items are deemed offensive to other passengers. Examples of items prohibited in the cabin and/or checked baggage are items that give a strong smell that may be offensive to other passengers. Please check with our staff if you are bringing such items on board.
- Fare Deals
- SilkAir India - A Joy to Fly contest
- SilkAir China - A Joy to Fly contest
- SilkAir Indonesia - A Joy to Fly contest
- SilkAir Malaysia - A Joy to Fly contest
- SilkAir 'A Joy to Fly' Roadshow
- Singapore: National Day Promotion
- Thailand: Chiang Mai Early Bird Sale
- SilkAir Philippines: Travel Fair Promotion
- Malaysia: Kota Kinabalu's Roadshow Promotion
- Sign up eNewsletter